Sunday, January 8, 2012

2011...What A Year!!

2011 was quite the year, to say the least! It was full of trials, blessings and amazing miracles. It has been one of those years that has grown my testimony of my Savior and the reality of his presence in my life. It has taught me how much I love my family and the power of a mother's love. It has taught me that there is no room for fear where there is faith. I have learned the true meaning of sacrifice, service and gratitude. It has been one of those years that you look back on and realize you are a better person because of all these experiences, you are stronger, and that is exactly how I feel, each person in my family has found strength they didn't know they had. We grow from adversity...


January - Jeff started his 2nd semester of Vet School and I spent time with Little Miss and training for a half marathon.


February - Little Miss turned 2 and I got pregnant with Miss A.


March - I ran a half marathon...pregnant. I didn't know I was pregnant, and I am glad because I totally would have used that excuse to not run it! Found out I was pregnant. We went to Utah for spring break. Little Miss and I ended up staying for a month. I got really sick again with this pregnancy.


April - We went back to Washington. I continued to be sick, but only had to go to the hospital twice for IV's...it could have been so much worse! We didn't leave the house at all.


May - Jeff finished his first year of Vet School! We went back to Utah to work for the summer and I continued to be sick...but we lived with my family and they were so good to help me with Little Miss and everything I needed. My mom and dad are amazing.


June - Pretty quiet...I am still sick...


July - We had reunions for the Oyler's and the Sorensen's and spent time in Loa with Jeff's parents. I was finally starting to feel better. I flew to Washington and found out we were having another little girl!! Flew back to Utah...


August - We got a new niece, little Audri! Our brother in law was deployed. Spent a week spending time with Grandma Jean (my dad's mom) when she got sick and at the end of the week my brother John wrecked his motorcycle into a Nissan Armada and wasn't wearing a helmet. He was on life support in a coma in the STICU at IMC in Utah. He had a severe brain injury but was not broken at all except for a cracked sacrum. Miracle. He received a blessing that night from my dad, Jeff and Bishop Jensen and he was told he would recover and that this experience would be to teach him to rely on his Heavenly Father and correct his path. Jeff slept in John's hospital room and spent many hours with him until he had to start school again a week after the accident. Little Miss and I stayed with Grammy and Grampy and spent all our time at the hospital. John stayed in a coma on life support the rest of the month...not expected to live and certainly not expected to have any quality of life if he did.


September - After 4 weeks, John slightly came out of the coma and was moved from the STICU to an LTAC in Orem Utah. We spent a week with him down there and then Little Miss and I had to go home to Washington. Right after I got home I got a call and John said hi to me. I cried and cried.


October - John is transferred back to the IMC to their rehab floor, the docs in the STICU had said he would never make it there. Miracle. John continues to make improvements and is able to move a little more. Still a long way to go, but I know the Lord was always with him and that he would continue to improve. We celebrated Halloween and then Little Miss and I got sick...we didn't leave our house for 2 weeks straight.


November - Miss A was born!! Grandma and Pa drove straight here when I went into labor and stayed for a week after. They are so supportive and it always amazes me how willing they are to do anything for us. We spent Thanksgiving with our own little family and then my mom came to stay with us and took care of us for a week. I know what a sacrifice it was for her to leave John, but she never thought twice. I love her so much. She flew home and while she was at the airport I got a call from my brother that his little boy, Carter, was going to get a new heart. He had only been listed a couple months. Miracle.


December - Grandma Merlyn went into surgery and had a total knee replacement. We flew to Utah for Christmas. Went right to see John and Carter, both in the hospital, as soon as we landed. Left for Loa to spend Christmas there with Grandma and Pa. Grandma Jean got really sick and also broke her back and ended up in the hospital. We got a new nephew, baby Kyson! We came back to Salt Lake and spent the New Year with Grammy, Grampy and Uncle Steve. We spent all our time in Salt Lake visiting in the hospital with John and Grandma Jean. Jeff spent a lot of time with John and helped with his therapy. We got family pictures with my family and flew back to Washington.


I don't know what 2012 has in store for us, but I do know that whatever it is, I have my family for eternity and I can face anything knowing that. I have a lot of goals for this year and I hope at the end of 2012 I will be able to look back again and say I am a better person than I was. I have everything I need...an amazing husband, two beautiful girls, the best parents and extended family, solid friends and the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. It's going to be an incredible year!

3 comments:

  1. Busy busy! We're so glad you guys are here in Washington!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a year. You have such an amazing attitude Marie. I just adore you and your darling family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a year is right! I'm glad everything has worked out. We really do grow from our trials. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete