Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Heart for Carter...

This has not been an easy year for my family to say the least, but for every trial we have been given, we have also been able to experience a miracle. Carter's heart is one of those miracle's. Carter is my nephew and when my sister in law, Jessica, was pregnant she found out that Carter had a severe heart defect called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. He had his first open heart surgery at 3 days old, spent his first 6 months of life in the PICU at Primary Children's Medical Center, and has been in and out of the hospital ever since. This little boy has been through more than anybody I know and and goes through all of it with a smile on his cute little face. Ever since he was born we knew that eventually he would need a new heart, but I always figured it would be in his teenage years or later. When complications came up and the final surgery he needed to reconstruct his heart was not going to be an option, we realized he was going to need a heart much sooner. He was listed on the transplant list a few months ago and on Sunday Dec. 4 Stayler and Jessica got the call that there was a heart for Carter. This came a lot sooner than any of us expected and after 13 hours of surgery, countless prayers and a lot of waiting, Carter had a new heart. I can't express my gratitude to my Heavenly Father enough for sending Carter to our family. He has taught us SO much in his 4 short years of life and has truly been a blessing to our entire family. Mostly, he has taught me what faith is. He has taught me that our Heavenly Father is in control and there is plan, even if I can't see it from where I am standing. His parents have taught me the true meaning of sacrifice and charity through their amazing love for Carter. Anyone who knows Carter loves him! Little Miss may be one of his biggest fans and is always so excited to see him. His road has been anything but easy, but his spirit is so strong and his will to live life is even stronger. I am so grateful to the donor family for their willingness to allow Carter a chance to live his life to the fullest with a new healthy heart.







And this is one of the most incredible families I know. My brother Stayler, his wife Jessica and their four kids; Carter, Bridger, Mason and Audri. Carter is so lucky to have them as his family, he couldn't be in better hands. They are his biggest fans and his constant support and I am lucky to get to have them all as my family and I love them so much!

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing for this cute little boy. I am so happy for him and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a miracle! I'm so glad everything went well!! Thanks for making me cry Marie :) We miss you guys and wish we could see that beautiful new baby girl you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome he got a heart so quickly!! What a special boy.

    ReplyDelete